Chiefs of the Fifteen counties and the traditional queen at the press conference The National Traditional Council of Chiefs and Elders, in collaboration with the National Christian and Muslim Council, has finally decided to intervene in the ongoing electoral impasse to ensure a peaceful and smooth transition of power in the country in January 2018.The Council brought together chiefs from the fifteen counties and sixteen tribes to Monrovia, ready to meet with political stakeholders.Speaking yesterday in a news conference at the headquarters of the chiefs and elders on the Camp Johnson Road, Chief Zanzan Karwor said there is an urgent need for the council to intervene in the election crisis to maintain the peace in the country. He said the council does not want to miss the chance for a smooth transfer of power and noted that Liberians must listen to the chiefs because they are their fathers of the land.He said Liberia is now shaking and needs the timely effort of the council to stop the conflict for the betterment of the society. “Liberia is not set because the time we were to vote for the runoff we never voted and this has drawn our concern to come to save Liberia from the crisis in our motherland.”Chief Karwor thanked Liberty Party for being peaceful and taking the legal route rather than getting in the streets to cause violence that could lead to war. He said the elders and their collaborators will call on the Supreme Court, the NEC, LP, UP, ALP, ANC and the president to find a common ground to the problem.He said they are no part of any political party only interested in the maintenance of the peace in Liberia.Presenting kola nuts, symbolizing peace, to the chiefs from the 15 counties, the vice coordinator of the National Chief and Elders Mrs. Satta Fofana Saah said the traditional council is the foundation of the nation, with the strength to settle the conflict to maintain peace to the Liberia.She said the kola nut is the symbol of peace and the success and blessings of the country are in the kola nut.Mrs. Saah said kola nuts stand for peace and justice and the traditional people always use them to settle disputes in the country.Also speaking, the head of the National Governors Council of the sixteen tribes of Liberia, Mrs. Musu Thompson, said Liberians need to return to their culture if they must keep the country peaceful.“We don’t have papers (passports) to leave Liberia if there is a problem and because of this we are calling on our children to speak with them to do away with violence for a smooth transition of power from one president to the other,” she implored, adding that Liberians should not forget their culture because of power. “All we want in Liberia is peace, not war.” She said politicians must do away with words that will cause chaos in the country.She however thanked Liberia’s Culture Ambassador Juli Endee, who she described as the “traditional queen,” for her effort to support peace efforts in the country. She said the young people must follow the example of the traditional queen to support peace in Liberia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Roush Fenway Racing driver Matt Kenseth, inducted into the Walk of Fame earlier in the day, gave the organization its fifth consecutive victory in the spring Busch Series race at the Fontana track on Saturday night by leading a contingent of three Roush drivers in the top five. “We really like it when you can run all over the race track, find a place that your car is happy with and be able to race wheel to wheel and be safe even three- or four-wide sometimes,” Roush said. “It’s really good to come out here, and we really like the race track. It’s been pretty good to us.” • Photo Galleries: 02/24: Stater Brothers 300 | Stater Brothers 300 2 | Race fans | California Speedway infield | Matt Kenseth makes the Walk of Fame | Nascar FONTANA – Considering Jack Roush’s remarkable run of success at California Speedway, the NASCAR team owner might as well add his hand prints or hat prints, in his case – to the track’s Walk of Fame. Roush has won almost a third of the NASCAR Nextel Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck series races held at the speedway, with six of his 12 victories coming in the Busch Series. Counting all three series, he’s won six out of the past seven spring races here. Much of that success has had to do with Kenseth, the track’s all-time leader in NASCAR wins who has claimed four Busch races in 12 starts and went to Victory Lane in last year’s Auto Club 500. “I always thought this place was so cool the way it was surrounded by run-down steel mills, and in the middle is this amazing place with perfect sod, perfect brick,” Kenseth said. “I always thought it was a perfect place ever since I came out here.” To win Saturday’s race in front of 37,000, Kenseth took the lead from Jeff Burton with 21 laps to go and extended it on a restart with 15 laps left as Casey Mears, Kyle Busch and Burton battled for second place. When Mears emerged as the top threat to catch Kenseth, his 1.5-second lead was too large to overcome. Mears finished 0.484 seconds behind. “By the time I was clear, it was a lot of ground to make up,” said Mears, who finished second. “That’s just the name of the game.” Busch finished third and was followed by Roush Fenway drivers Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle. Dave Blaney, who earlier in the day claimed the first-ever Busch pole for Toyota, finished 10th. “Anyone who got out front tonight just took off,” Busch said. “It was pretty obvious there that if you got out front, you were a dominant force.” The race was run with 41 drivers two short of a full field and that number was reduced after a crash on lap 87 of the 150-lap race. Jason Leffler, riding along the front stretch, tried to pass Kenny Wallace but was clipped on the right rear bumper. Wallace, subbing for the ill David Gilliland, turned Leffler’s car 90 degrees toward the grandstand. The car ran right into the outside wall at the start/finish line just as Juan Pablo Montoya reached the same spot. Montoya’s car hit Leffler with such a force that it momentarily lifted it off the ground. Both drivers were uninjured. email@example.com (909) 483-8551 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
According to WorkSafeBC, an earth scraper had gotten stuck in the mud, and was chained to a bulldozer to try and get it out. The worker was removing the chains when a second bulldozer that was also being used struck them from behind, causing fatal head injuries. The subsequent investigation found that D. Loewen Enterprises made a number of errors and “failed to ensure the health and safety of all workers at its workplace.” The firm didn’t use the safety tools and guidance detailed in its own safety program and the prime contractor’s safety program when planning the earth scraper’s recovery. It also didn’t provide the information, training, and supervision required to ensure its employees’ health and safety during the operation. The work area wasn’t arranged in a safe way for people and equipment to move safely, and lastly, the company didn’t make sure that the earth scraper was able to do the work it was used for safely.- Advertisement -A penalty of $47,250.89 has been issued to the firm.
0Shares0000Barcelona’s Lionel Messi celebrates after scoring his team’s third goal against LiverpoolBARCELONA, Spain, May 2 – Barcelona beat Liverpool 3-0 in the Champions League semi-final first leg on Wednesday.Here AFP Sport looks at three things we learned from the Camp Nou clash: 600 up as Messi escapes Van Dijk’s shadowAfter three successive quarter-final defeats, Lionel Messi is on a mission to lead Barcelona to their first Champions League final appearance since they last won the tournament in 2015.Messi, Barca’s incomparable striker, made a promise last September to ‘bring that beautiful trophy’ back to the Camp Nou and his late double — which took him to an incredible 600 career goals for the club — was a huge step towards achieving that dream.The Argentine had failed to score in his two previous appearances against Liverpool and for long periods he was held in check by Reds centre-back Virgil van Dijk and his fellow defenders.But Messi is too talented to be subdued for long and he finally escaped Van Dijk’s clutches to score from close-range after Suarez’s effort hit the bar in the 75th minute.Messi was just getting warmed up and in the 82nd minute he left Liverpool stunned when he curled a superb 25-yard free-kick into the top corner.It was another frustrating evening in the Camp Nou for Van Dijk, who was given a rough ride on his last visit in 2013 as a 22-year-old Celtic defender in a 6-1 defeat.The Dutch international has improved dramatically since that night and arrived back in Spain as the newly crowned PFA Player of the Year, but even he was no match for the peerless Messi in the end.Klopp’s fears come trueJurgen Klopp showed his frustration as Liverpool crashed in Barcelona © AFP / LLUIS GENEJurgen Klopp feared Liverpool would “suffer” against a team of Barcelona’s quality, and the German’s nightmare scenario came true as they crumbled in a cruel finale.Klopp’s side fell behind in the 26th minute when former Liverpool forward Luis Suarez produced a predatory finish to convert Jordi Alba’s cross.But Liverpool, hoping to reach successive Champions League finals after losing last year’s to Real Madrid, were unbowed by that setback and went on to deliver a solid display that could easily have brought them an equaliser with better finishing and a less inspired show from Barca keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.Only when Messi made his devastating contribution in the last 15 minutes, did Liverpool look overwhelmed and even then they should have snatched a priceless away goal when Mohamed Salah hit the woodwork.In 42 previous games, English teams had won only twice in the Camp Nou.Liverpool were the victors on both occasions, but Barcelona were unbeaten in last 31 home games in Champions League dating back six years.So it was easy to see why Klopp was concerned in his pre-match briefing about the damage that could be done by Messi and company.“We won’t be perfect, we will make mistakes, we will suffer, 100 per cent,” Klopp had said.His assessment was correct and now Liverpool go into Tuesday’s second leg at Anfield needing to emulate their greatest Champions League night — when they came from 3-0 down at half-time to beat AC Milan in the 2005 final.Firmino injury hampers LiverpoolLiverpool’s Georginio Wijnaldum couldn’t make an impact against Barcelona © AFP / JAVIER SORIANOStruggling with an injury, Roberto Firmino was only fit enough to make an 11-minute cameo and Liverpool were hamstrung without their Brazilian forward.Firmino missed Friday’s win over Huddersfield with a thigh muscle tear and Klopp decided he was initially only fit enough for a place among the substitutes.Firmino was the only player to have featured in all 38 of Klopp’s European games in charge of the Reds and his absence proved a big blow.With Firmino on the bench, Klopp took a gamble by playing Dutch midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum as a makeshift striker instead of using Divock Origi or Xherdan Shaqiri, who have both played that role more often.Wijnaldum grafted gamely enough, but lacked the instinctive movement, hold-up play and finishing skills that Firmino brings to the team.Shorn of their attacking fulcrum, Liverpool still competed well but it was significant that a lack of composure in front of goal proved their downfall.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)
Derby forward Simon Dawkins has joined Major League Soccer side San Jose Earthquakes on a permanent deal.Dawkins, 28, who played for the California-based club on loan during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, made 74 appearances and scored nine goals for the Rams after joining from Tottenham.Head coach Paul Clement told the club’s website that the Jamaican international is ‘an example to us all’ after his departure from Pride Park.“We wish Simon, who was a popular member of the dressing room, every success at San Jose Earthquakes,” said Clement.“He handled that situation well – it would have been easy to down tools, reduce his effort and possibly be disruptive. “Instead, he was professional, respectful and hard-working and he dealt with the disappointment with class and he is an example to us all.” 1 Simon Dawkins
A property developer behind massive developments in Donegal has been declared bankrupt.Sean McWilliams’ firm, McWilliams Homes, owed Anglo Irish Bank almost £25m.The business, which was based in Swatragh in Co Derry, had its biggest projects in County Donegal. In 2005 McWilliams Homes secured approval for a 80m euro residential development of more than 550 houses at Ballymacool in Letterkenny.Plans for the development included commercial units, a creche, health centre and upgrading of the Glenties to Letterkenny road.McWilliams was also behind projects in Muff and Newtowncunningham.Mr McWilliams had signed personal guarantees with Anglo Irish, hence today’s bankruptcy. DONEGAL DEVELOPER DECLARED BANKRUPT was last modified: July 1st, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ballymacoolco derryCo DonegalletterkennyMcWilliams homes
Seeing as it’s his 48th birthday, talkSPORT looks at 10 fantastic Dennis Bergkamp goals from his time at Ajax.He came through the youth system in Amsterdam to make his debut in 1986 and won the Cup Winners Cup a year later and added three Dutch Cups and a league title, plus the UEFA Cup before leaving for Inter in 1993. His stay in Milan was short, though he did win another UEFA Cup, and he joined Arsenal for £7.5m in 1995 where he became an idol to the Highbury faithful.Bergkamp played 423 times for the club and scored 120 goals, winning three Premier League titles and four FA Cups.WHAT IF BERGKAMP HAD SCORED THAT PENALTY AGAINST MAN UNITED IN 1999?It’s also Sylvain Wiltord’s birthday if you’re interested…
Monaco and Sevilla have joined Arsenal in the hunt for Norwegian teen star Sander Berge.The midfielder has been in fine form for Genk in Belgium after joining them from Norwegian club Valerenga in January.The 19-year-old has impressed so much that Arsenal want to bring him to the Emirates and there has been talk of an £18million deal.Berge is clearly not short of suitors though and, according to reports in Spain, Monaco and Sevilla are now interested too.Like Arsenal, the pair have been impressed by the Norway international’s performances and they would like to snap him up this summer.However, Genk have previously insisted that Berge will remain with them for at least one more season. Norwegian teen ace Sander Berge 1
Shay Given will be fit in time for Manchester City’s first FA Cup final since 1981, it has been confirmed.And the big Lifford goalie will also be fit to play for Ireland against Macedonia in June.His return to fitness comes at a time when the Donegal man is being tipped to join Liverpool at Anfield this summer. “Shay sent a message this week to tell us that he is back in full training and doing very well,” said Ireland goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly at the annual Dublin Docklands Coaching for Kids festival.“He is fighting fit once again and looking forward to getting back on the field with City and with Ireland.“He is pushing the envelope and I will be very surprised if he’s not on the bench for City for the FA Cup final against Stoke and back forIreland in the games at the end of next month.”SHAY FIT FOR DREAM TRIP TO WEMBLEY FOR FA CUP FINAL was last modified: April 28th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
UPDATED: TWO ‘heroes’ have been hailed – with on taken to Letterkenny General Hospital – after rescuing four children who got into difficulty while bathing off Rosbeg.The children were NOT hospitalised as a result of the incident which happened just before 2pm.They had been out swimming when they were carried out to sea in strong currents. Two men – understood to be tourists from Dublin and Belfast and related to some of the children – then went to their rescue. Two lifeguards also had to be rescued.A Coastguard helicopter later took one of the men to hospital as a precaution.Our picture shows the helicopter landing at Letterkenny General Hospital.It’s understood local people used a boat to bring some of the swimmers to shore. “It was all over very quickly and it’s a miracle that no-one was lost,” said one local man.“The man from Belfast brought three of the children ashore and probably saved their lives.”He added: “There are some reports that children were taken to hospital. They weren’t thank God, they’re ok.” HERO TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER RESCUING CHILDREN was last modified: August 3rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:TWO HEROES TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER RESCUING CHILDREN